Monday 15 February 2016

18 shows in 24 days

Oh yes, and the gigs were good too.
In Algeciras we did a full acoustic show, being the first time we weren’t sure how it would go, or even if there would be sufficient interest.
It was actually a great night, sold out, and it went down a storm.
We will be repeating this in the UK, as another feather to our bow, I sent a couple of emails and got 2 gigs already.
Tonight, for once the hotel was right next door to the venue, a rare occasion, but I was staying apart from the rest of the band at a friend’s place in Gibraltar.


Which leads me to todays ‘Billy’s fact of the dayyyyyyyyyyyyy’

The locals in Gibraltar speak a language that is a mix of English and Spanish. And often use both English and Spanish in the same sentence.
Today we would call it Spanglish, but back in the day it was, and still is, known as Gibralterish, or simply ‘Gibberish’
So now you know.

Last night was Estepona, on the coast, the crowd was about 50/50 Brits and the locals.
Being a preferred place in the sun for the Ex Pats from the UK.

Typical, a late show, so we didn’t get to bed ‘til 3am, and up wheels rolling at 9am for a 6 hour drive to Toledo.
So just over 5 hours sleep, for a 6 hour drive and a gig tonight.
Our promoter sure works us hard.

Toledo is another beautiful place, and a World Heritage site, and tonight’s venue is an old Knight Templar Church. Really fantastic venue.
I mean, how often does any band gets to play in an old Templar Church?


It’s one of the reasons I got into music originally, to get to travel the world, and go to places I probably would never usually have seen.
Places like New Zealand, Venezuela, Brazil etc..
We have visited historical sites the world over,  we got to see Thermopylae on our tour of Greece, the last stand of Leonidas and the brave 300.

We have been to Red Square in Moscow, the Aztec Temples in Mexico to The Ancient Acropolis in Athens.
We have performed in major venues all over the world, and whether it’s 200, or 2,000 people, we always give 110%.
Always do the full show, and more,  until the promoter drags us off stage.

Toledo is famous, amongst other things, for its sword making.
I had to buy a sword last year, had to be done, everyone should own a Toledo blade.
Sorely tempted to add to my collection of weapons, but I really should resist, I’m running out of wall space for the ones I already have.
A decent collection I might add, including cavalry sabres from the Napoleonic War.
The rest of the band collect fridge magnets, I collect swords.

                                                    Toledo
And finally, at last, I have finally managed, in the 4th week, to find a comfortable position in the van, where I can actually get some much needed sleep.
It takes a fair amount of manoeuvring, and using varies bags for support, but it is the most comfortable I have been in van.
Still 4 hours to go ‘til Toledo, so I’ll prop myself up with the baggage and continue later.

14/02/14
Happy Valentines day to all you romantics out there.
The  last 2 shows went very well, even tho’ some of the band, mention no names, where knackered from too much partying in Toledo, but a few refreshing ‘Hairs of the Dog’ and they are restored to their former vigour.

Toledo is such a lovely place and our hotel had great views of the historic city, good crowd too, some travelled some distance to be here, we did ‘Rock and Roll’ and ‘Immigrant Song’ as the encores, and then came back to do ‘Babe I’m Gonna Leave You’ to leave the audience ecstatic.

The last show of the tour was in Badajoz, I’ll do more in depth later, as it was our promoters birthday, I got him onstage to get the crowd to sing Happy Birthday to ‘El Viejo’ - The Old One, or as I like to call him ‘El Feo de Cojones’ roughly translates to ‘He who is bollox ugly’

I  jest of course… honest.

Breakfast was interesting, as our waiter was completely useless, a cross between Manuel from Fawlty Towers and Mr Magoo, but without the comic charm.
We named him Manuel Magoo, or ‘El Rapido’ in ironic recognition of his lack of speed or urgency.
He wanted to serve the locals before us tourist and eventually, after about 30 minutes of patiently waiting to order, he brought milky coffee, that no one had ordered, and some bread plastered in a thick layer of margarine, which was disgusting.
I gave it back and walked out. 
Childish I know, but it felt very satisfying to tap on the window and flip him the V sign as we walked past in search of another place to eat.

It is in c/ Melendez Valdes, if you ever find yourself in Badajoz, do not go there.
Ok, now - van…Madrid…plane… home …..in that order, and see if the cat remembers me.
Espana…It’s been a blast,great venues, fantastic people, the band was on fire, everyone performed well every night,  muchos gracias.

‘til the next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment